Today, The Charleston Club is still a thriving organization that remains true to its purpose. Business meetings are held five times each year in the following months, January, March, May, September, and November. Meetings are productive and yet lighthearted. Annual dues is only $25.00, but it is returned in kind at meetings where down home Gullah cuisine is served. Fellowship is priceless! Family and friends are encouraged to attend club sponsored activities.
The Club consists primarily of Charlestonians and their families, those with family ties to the Charleston area and to those who have a sincere interest in the culture and heritage of the South Carolina Lowcountry. Currently, there are nearly 80 active members; however, approximately 50 tangential members are located throughout the country. All members, wherever located, enrich the Club with their unique contributions, creative ideas, and spirited energy that continues to propel it into the future.
Loyal members have been the backbone that stiffens the Club in remaining true to its original purpose: preserve and cherish our Charleston heritage and promote “down home” fellowship at every gathering. Membership support has also made it possible to look with pride at the Club’s accomplishments throughout its long history. Notably, the Club has:
- Provide donations to several Washington, DC community organizations over many years, mostly recently included the National Museum of African American History and Culture to our gifting
- Sponsor grand reunions to welcome all club members and their families, as well as other Charlestonians to fellowship and renew ole’ acquaintances
- Host holiday activity to promote fellowship among members, families, and friends
- Acknowledge caringly the successes and difficulties of our members, including illnesses, deaths, birthdays, job promotions and other achievements
- Publish the monthly (except June, July, and August) newsletter, The Tattler
- Maintain the website: www.charlestonscclub.org to serve as a resource for members and non-members alike.
If you have questions or would like more information about the Club, please contact Leroy C. Latten at firstname.lastname@example.org by phone at 703-282-9325. For those wishing to pay dues, you may send a check, made payable to The Charleston SC Club of Washington, DC, in the amount of $25.00 and mail it to:
Mrs. Arnette Cobb-White
614 Maury Avenue
Oxon Hill, Maryland 20745
New members please include your home address, phone number and email address, thanks!
We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting!